Monday, February 29, 2016

Surgery #2, Rectum removal and colon re-build plus an infection, just for fun

It was about August when I decided to go in for my second surgery. This one would involve the removal of my rectum. It would also involve the building of what's called a J-pouch and re-attachment of my small intestine to my anus. A J-pouch is when they take some of your small intestine and make an internal bag where your feces will be stored in between trips to the bathroom (once you're all put back together of course). This surgery is the most invasive of the 3 so be prepared. Also, for some UNKNOWN reason when I woke up they decided to keep me off pain meds. Did you hear that? NO PAIN MEDS! I had Tylenol. Want to know how that went? A little something like this;

When you're asleep, they pump you with pain meds so you're okay when you first wake up. So for a while I was good. I asked what I would be getting for pain and they told me Tylenol. Right there I just saw bad times coming in. I asked why and they had the nerve to tell me that I had agreed to it! Now, if anyone knows me, you would know that when it comes to things like this, the more out of it I am, the better. I would NEVER agree to something like that, and I had to call my sister, who was there, so she could tell them I never agreed. Still, they stuck to their guns. So that night when  pain started to roll in, I lost it. I told them I needed "the pain button" (they usually give this to you when you wake up, it's morphine injected into your IV with a button so you can control how much you're getting). They finally said they would give it to me and I was relieved, but no one came. After an hour I started to shake, sweat, cry, and scream in pain. I threw anything I could get my hands onto, why I still don't know, it's not like it made me feel any better. Another hour passed and finally the doctor came in a hooked up my pain button, I felt better within 10 minutes. It was awful...

Things were fine after that party. I spent 5 days in the hospital, laying in bed watching TV and getting free food (which was surprisingly delicious). I felt better and went home feeling fine. That lasted about a week. Slowly, I started feeling weaker and weaker, and then dizzy. It was bearable at first, but got to the point to where I couldn't walk to my bathroom without being afraid that I would fall over. It got so bad, I handled it for 5 weeks before having to go back to the hospital for another week. Apparently, during my second surgery my doctor missed a stitch and all kinds of nasty things were leaking out and collecting into an abscess next to my spine, pushing against my tail bone and causing incredible pain in my back. This was fixed too, and all was well, once again. I never felt 100 percent healthy after this surgery. I always felt dehydrated and just, kind of bad. This was a rough time for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment