Monday, May 2, 2016

ITS THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!! Or....surgery

FINALLY! This was going to be over. My father drive me to the hospital to have this stupid bag of poop removed from my stomach forever. Over a year had passed and I was so ready to show off my belly again and wear tight clothes and.....JEANS! Oh jeans....I had been wearing yoga pants and PJs since the bag was put in and I was ready to jump back into my old wardrobe. Oh yeah, and I would be able to poop out of my butt. I know, it's weird seeing someone so damn excited over being able to poop but seriously, you will never understand what this process is like until you actually experience it. Being excited for something as strange as poop is normal for us colitis sufferers (am I right?).

This surgery was just like the others. Small, cold room, strange people, IV, revealing hospital gown. When I woke up though things were very different. If you read my last posts you know about me not having pain meds when I woke up (it was bad). I didn't get them this time either but it wasn't as bad and I could understand a little better why. You see, pain medications like morphine block your bowels and make you constipated. When you're trying to use your newly built bowels for the first time in over a year constipation is bad news, so I could understand why they kept me off them. However, I was groggy for a lot longer than usual when I woke up, it was strange. It's also strange since after you wake up, all the doctors and nurses eagerly await your fart. That's right, they want you to fart (takes about a day or so). When you do they allow you to eat. I spent another 5 days in the hospital and went home, finally able to poop and use my newly built colon, but this isn't the end of the story. It takes months to feel better and I ran into way more bumps in the road than I had in my previous surgeries.

No comments:

Post a Comment